Wednesday, June 18

a rare sighting

I spotted an owl perched on a mailbox on my way to work this morning. I drove right passed it and then realized what it was, turned the car around and was delighted I had stashed my camera in my bag before heading out the door today. The owl was mostly ignoring me. Instead it was intent on something in the ditch below it's perch. I did catch a few curious glances in the midst of it's morning hunt.

After getting to work, Stacy and I grabbed the bird book and identified the owl as a Barred Owl.

I see Bald Eagles, Red Tail Hawks, and Harriers (small hawks) all the time, but an owl spotting is rare indeed.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Awesome photo Lana! What a great opportunity to see an owl in the day time!

I hear you're turning another year older soon...congrats/best wishes and all the stuff!

Love reading your blog...you must write a book some day.