Did you know that Saturday was National Alpaca Farm Day? First annual, in fact! I made a trip to my friend Julie's alpaca farm on Saturday to support her and her husband Kirk, in their new alpaca farm endeavor. I even talked a few of my new Bozeman friends into making the trek to Livingston with me. We had a blast learning the ins and outs of alpaca farming.
Fun facts about the strange animal that we call alpacas:
- the young alpacas are called crias
- alpacas are social creatures, they don't like to be alone
- they even poop together in a circle, jockeying for the best position
- they come in 39 different colors
- their fur is called fleece
- their fur is spun into yarn for hats, sweaters, gloves, scarves