- first intro to Crowders was on a first date
- hiking up and down and back up with a loaded pack to train for the Appalachian Trail
- running, jumping, slipping, sliding through a thunderstorm trying to get off of the mountain as lightning struck all around
- running into Dr. Winkler, superintendent of my school system
- hiking with one of my students who presumptuously asked if she could go hiking with me in front of the entire class
- nearly being sited a ticket for staying on the mountain past sunset
And now I can add one more: Hiking Crowders with Lana, my sister who for years has admittedly "hated the outdoors". But on our way down I hear her say, "You know, I do like doing outdoor activities. I'll never plan them, of course, but if someone else initiates them, I'd go along."